Wednesday, May 12, 2010

On Laphroaig 10 Year.

It's like Lapsang Souchong - with alcohol!

Or: oh, so Scotch is awesome.

My first attempt at scotch (inspired by Art of Manliness) was a bottle of Glenfiddich 12-year. While certainly not distasteful (I did finish it, after all), it lacked the one thing that people mention whenever you say "scotch" - smokiness! If anything, it had an intense pear overtone that subsided as I worked my way through the bottle. Wharrgarbl, indeed. I suppose switching to Laphroaig would be like complaining about the lack of strong flavors in Trumer Pils and trying Arrogant Bastard instead.

5 comments:

Duane said...

If your be need'n a bit more smokiness, http://shop.glenfiddich.com/shop/prod_glenfiddich_50.html

Matt said...

Welcome to the glorious land of south Islay single malts. You may also enjoy Ardbeg and Lagavulin -- and Talisker, while from Skye, is very similar.

MauserMedic said...

Eh...

Jack and water. Or if in a pinch, Beam and water. Room temp, for full flavor effect. But then I'm strange that way.

Bunnyman said...

Medic - I should probably give that a spin. Otherwise, it'd be like calling yourself a shooter and having no trigger time on a Glock or 1911.

DirtCrashr said...

Haven't had it in quite a while (my biology doesn't handle it well) but that's exactly as I remember it, Lapsang Souchong!