Sunday, June 28, 2009

On Recoil Control.

"What I've noticed with shooters who use .22 kits is that they tend to have problems with recoil control." - ToddG (paraphrased, at the 3/15 Aim Fast, Hit Fast class)

Ah-yup. First time shooting steel in 3 months, and I totally got schooled. Shooting a real caliber magnifies any problems you have with grip consistency. Edge-of-performance speeds mean that those problems translate to embarrassing misses. While running the rack, I noticed that 'driving the dot' doesn't work when the rear sight is 10+ degrees off boresight due to grip.

EDIT: On further rumination, I'm realizing that under stress - pseudo-competition, not wanting to look like a total doofus, acting like a total doofus anyway, social pressure (interacting with a bunch of guys that I haven't seen in a couple of months; all great folks, but still) - my grip went completely to shit. Not to mention the whole 'riding the slide lock' habit coming back with a vengeance. Which is kind of odd, since my grip's been consistenly pretty awesome, more so than usual, at my last few range trips.

With my ego properly adjusted downward, it's time to get back to work. Also, sight in from a bench to find out where exactly these Big Dots are hitting.

No comments: