Friday, June 26, 2009

On Mailing one's Elected Representatives.

So vis-a-vis the CBP's delightful attempt to destroy a healthy market sector and criminalize 35 million knife owners, I decided to mail my representatives, despite the Latta-Minnick amendment (to slap that shit down proper) not exiting committee. How could it hurt?

Tauscher's contact form included a text field to input a topic. Since 'customs and border knife regulations' isn't too terribly common in public discourse (ah, but more is better), this was a good thing.

Feinstein and Boxer (and oh boy am I screwed there) had a handy drop down list to select the topic of interest. Here, I am stumped. It's not a 'crime' issue per se (other than the making J. Random Knife Owner a felon), it's not a 'trade' issue (other than the interstate commerce part making it impossible to mail knives without felony charges), it's not strictly a 'gun control' issue* (though of course it's an arms control issue, which is fundementally the same thing). I'm tempted to go with 'civil rights/liberties,' though I suspect it's not strictly what they're talking about.

Civil Rights is probably the closest match, what with the 4th Amendment and 8th Amendment issues ("A severe punishment that is obviously inflicted in wholly arbitrary fashion.").

-----

* Representative Boxer used the euphemism "Sensible Gun Laws." I'm just gonna quote the wisdom of Inigo Montoya on that one: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

No comments: